»GhostReaper«
Ex-MYT
Origin: MYT-GhostReaper
Steam: snake_fr

Megaupload is down

Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16642369

Response of the group Anonymus :lol: :
Anonymous says it attacks DOJ site after feds shut down piracy hub Megaupload
http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/19/technol ... _shutdown/

It's sad because it was a famous good website but there are a lot others like it.
|MYT|Beerbelott

Re: Megaupload is down

Yup but it was the last allowing people to buy "lifetime" premium accounts.
Few years ago, RapidShare changed by opening a shop in which regular software could be bought. It was their way of escaping so justice problems.

Megaupload was apparently more radical. That's the hard way, let's hope it will end well for them.
The real rackeeters are those major worlwide corporation pretending to defend music/film interests. It would be sad the Internets reflets their point of view.

:thumbdown:
|MYT|DK

Guys stop panic just start download Torrents :) :) :lock: :lock:
Not active in-game BUT active on the forum
|MYT|macdutch
Inactive Member

NP for the dutch in holland we are also downloading with spotgrit.org ore spotnet :clap: :clap: its base on newsgroups and fast like hell i load with 25mb line and gets 21mb flat speed :clap: , i never used Torrents becaus it sucks for me and @t the newsgroups you can find it all like on torrents site .. maybe more and there are some good teams who translate and post the movies / music / software ect. ect. , butt justice cant shut it down becaus its no website ore something. :twisted:

gr Maccie

ps when someone needs some help ore info with newsgroups let me know :thumbup:
|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader
Discord: |MYT|Torq#8727

Got this from AOL News
It seems the Feds have hacked off the hackers..

Hacker group Anonymous has shutdown the websites of the US Department of Justice, the FBI, the Record Industry Association of America, the Motion Picture Association of America and Universal Music overnight.

The largest ever hack by the infamous group was in protest against the US government’s forced closure of the popular file-sharing site, Megaupload.

Dubbed "operation payback", with a manifesto published on a Wikipedia entry page, the attack began as retaliation to distributed denial of service (DDoS) directed at the Megaupload torrent site.

CNN reports that federal agents arrested the leaders of Megaupload.com on Thursday 19 January 2012.

Some hours later, a DOJ spokeswoman told CNNMoney "We are having website problems, but we're not sure what it's from."

Anonymous took to Twitter, writing a 140 character admission "justice.gov & universalmusic.com TANGO DOWN! You should have EXPECT US! #Megaupload"

“It was in retaliation for Megaupload, as was the concurrent attack on Justice.org,” Anonymous operative Barrett Brown told news website RT on Thursday afternoon.
Borsuk
Ex-MYT

[*]
|MYT|Kuchar
Honorary Member
Discord: mrkuchar #2722
Origin: Mr_Kuchar
Steam: s...unity.com/id/mrkuchar
Uplay: MrKucharr

|MYT|Borsuk wrote:[*]
Hahah omg Borsuk.. u killed me with this :lol: :lol: :lol:
|MYT|Kuchar
Honorary Member
Discord: mrkuchar #2722
Origin: Mr_Kuchar
Steam: s...unity.com/id/mrkuchar
Uplay: MrKucharr

Save the internet, click and sign it :arrow: http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_intern ... b/?ccwCxcb
Last edited by |MYT|Kuchar on 20 Jan 2012, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
|MYT|Beerbelott

|MYT|DK wrote:Guys stop panic just start download Torrents :) :) :lock: :lock:
[Off-Topic]
Well there are a lot of other means to share files ;-)
BitTorrent is by design the most secure & efficient today. However the problem lies on the share of the '.torrent' files, which is traditionally done by common websites, and thus be shut down.
[/Off-Topic]

What strikes me most when I consider the MegaUpload case and the fact that the Internet shall be a neutral place (ie, carrying content, that's all we ask to a network) is that the .com gTLD (generic Top Level Domain) falls under the US laws. By doing some research, I found that both .com and .net are managed by VeriSign, which is a US company and thus must follow US laws and allow to federals agencies direct access to their property on executive request.

The theory says TLD (Top Level Domains) do not belong to anyone. The real way is using allowing private companies to manage those TLD, thus allowing the country where they belong to gain the possibility of shutting down specific TLD or the whole of them. That is to say: a worldwide impact.
That is what happened to MegaUpload: the TLD megaupload.com was seized by the FBI. However I don't know what happened to the servers. I only know they were physically hosted in Hong-Kong. Are the files intact? Has this government received & followed US government injonctions to delete the content?

To avoid the problem of proving that MegaUpload was not following the laws, which was expected to be very complicated, thanks to the SOPA & PIPA being postponed, the US government chose to use the joker card of the criminal organisation, the so-called 'Mafia' to shut the company down.
The game will probably be hard to play, since the technical advisor of MegaUpload already told the procedure was buggy...
The US government agencies will now need proofs.

Invoking the criminal organisation reason leads to think the US government wants a quick & simple procedure. Much more handy than the right path of the true accusation: allowing bad pirates to steal property from rich major intermediates (not authors).
The fact that they want to use shorcuts don't surprise me, since I don't have a specially huge trust in the US justice. But since I am no US citizen, I would righteously think I am safe from their misjudging and errors. The truth is I am not.

So the problems stays: the .com & .net TLD falls under US juridiction, letting their justice rule over their worldwide users.
What if you don't trust/wanna their national justice deciding what is right/wrong? You're screwed. Go away.
|MYT|dimonkey
Honorary Member
battle.net: dimonkey#2417
Discord: dimonkey#1730
Origin: dimonkey75
PSN: dimonkey0
Steam: dimonkey
Uplay: dimonkey
Xbox: dimonkeyX

IMO the whole SOPA / PIPA thing would be a win for the likes of Russia and to some extent China ;) All companies that host files would just move to countries get around the US laws.

The difficulty comes in that if they have any aspect of their website or company that interacts with the US (such as their bank accounts, payment gateways) the companies that provide these services would have to stop servicing them. Those laws would truely be the death of the original concept of the internet.

BTW those laws would affect MYT (note the .com) ;)

In theory we would have to check every link you guys post on our website to make sure it wasn't linking to illegal content. If it was and a company complained in the US we could have our site shut down.

Anonymous for the win! (in this case)
|MYT|Beerbelott

The MegaUpload case just proves there's no need for SOPA / PIPA laws.
Justice has already means to fight illegal behaviors.

Anonymous is not the solution. The solution is to stop restraining liberty for major corporations.
The copyright was intended to protect authors against editors not editors against consumers.

You have to find a way of giving back money to authors while allowing the share of culture. Culture is meant for consuming/sharing in the essence.
People go watching a movie more than ever. They buy music more than ever. But they also enjoy it on Youtube and or BitTorrent/p2p. That doesn't stop consumption.
And a network is by essence a carrier. Sharing is normal. Let's allow culture flow on it! There is no danger on that side.

Strangely, authors still don't get rewarded much by major editors, which continue to take huge margin/profit on the culture sales. I agree that's not normal that authors don't get more money. Editors shouldn't be that huge and powerful.
The whole system need a change: we need a new system allowing for consumers to pay directly authors, not their intermediates.

We don't need those intermediates. When they endanger your liberty, just wipe them out. They take money from authors, pretending to 'protect' them. What a lie!
The corruption is not always where you think it lies.
|MYT|dimonkey
Honorary Member
battle.net: dimonkey#2417
Discord: dimonkey#1730
Origin: dimonkey75
PSN: dimonkey0
Steam: dimonkey
Uplay: dimonkey
Xbox: dimonkeyX

|MYT|Beerbelott wrote:The MegaUpload case just proves there's no need for SOPA / PIPA laws.
Justice has already means to fight illegal behaviors.

Anonymous is not the solution. The solution is to stop restraining liberty for major corporations.
The copyright was intended to protect authors against editors not editors against consumers.
Yup I agree, although I do find Anonymous entertaining ;)

What I find funny is the double standard on copyright. I know I am referring back to SOPA but, think about who raised the issue and is pushing the US to enact this legislation - Movie companies are amongst them - Hollywood. Take a look at The Pirate Bay's response to SOPA. :D That is also entertaining and interesting!

Return to “General Discussion”