FILMS on DVD Reviewed Part 2 (CLOSED)

THIS WEEK'S FILMS ON DVD REVIEWED

A Good Day to Die Hard

UK certificate 15

Genre : Action/Crime/Thriller

Directed by : John Moore

Starring : Bruce Willis/Jai Courtney/Sebastian Koch

<><><>

John McClane travels to Russia to help out his seemingly wayward son, Jack, only to discover that Jack is a CIA operative working to prevent a nuclear-weapons heist, causing the father and son to team up against underworld forces.

<><><>

Oh dear another "Hard Man" has released a movie, Bruce Willis this time...
Unfortunately a much cliched Storyline with poor direction.
Tried to be a follow on from the Die Hard franchise, but abroad this time....Sadly it failed.
The action scenes were OK however.

5.5/10

Lincoln
UK certificate 12

Genre : Biography/Drama/History/War

Directed by : Steven Spielberg

Starring : Daniel Day-Lewis/Sally Field/David Straitharn

<><><>

In 1865, as the American Civil War winds inexorably toward conclusion, U.S. president Abraham Lincoln endeavors to achieve passage of the landmark constitutional amendment which will forever ban slavery from the United States. However, his task is a race against time, for peace may come at any time, and if it comes before the amendment is passed, the returning southern states will stop it before it can become law. Lincoln must, by almost any means possible, obtain enough votes from a recalcitrant Congress before peace arrives and it is too late. Yet the president is torn, as an early peace would save thousands of lives. As the nation confronts its conscience over the freedom of its entire population, Lincoln faces his own crisis of conscience -- end slavery or end the war.

<><><>

Awsome performance by Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln...In fact all of the performances were top draw...An excellent Storyline & Musical score compliments to bring to life Abraham Lincoln's time of the American civil war.
Make no mistake you will get totally immersed in the period as I did.
As usual Spielberg is magic

Drama fans will love this....

10/10

Zero Dark Thirty
UK certificate 15

Genre: Drama/History/Thriller

Directed by : Kathryn Bigelow

Starring : Jessica Chastain/Jason Clarke/Joel Edgerton

<><><>

Maya is a CIA operative whose first experience is in the interrogation of prisoners following the Al Qaeda attacks against the U.S. on the 11th September 2001. She is a reluctant participant in extreme duress applied to the detainees, but believes that the truth may only be obtained through such tactics. For several years, she is single-minded in her pursuit of leads to uncover the whereabouts of Al Qaeda's leader, Osama Bin Laden. Finally, in 2011, it appears that her work will pay off, and a U.S. Navy SEAL team is sent to kill or capture Bin Laden. But only Maya is confident Bin Laden is where she says he is..

<><><>

A decent Drama which I surpose we should call a Docu-Drama.....
Technically good, but the storyline left alot to be desired....Rather hollow with no in depth background as to why certain actions were taken..
Be aware that the start of the film has brutal scenes of interrogation.

8/10

BaDTimE
Ex-MYT
Steam: |WM|BaDTimE

Re: FILMS on DVD Reviewed Part 2

|MYT|Torq wrote:Spartacus Season One : Blood & Sand UK Certificate 18

Genre : Action/Drama/History

Directed by : Michael Hurst/Rick Jacobson/Jesse Warn

Starring : Andy Whitfield/John Hannah/Lucy Lawless

Betrayed by his country. Beaten into slavery. Reborn as a warrior. Spartacus: Blood and Sand is a graphic and visceral account of Romes most famous gladiator. When he is separated from the love of his life, Spartacus is forced into the gruesome and bloodthirsty arena, where a grisly death is primetime entertainment. Spartacus must fight for survival, befriend his enemies and play politics in this new world of corruption, violence, sex and fame. He will be seduced by power and tormented by vengeance. But his passion will give him the strength to prevail over every obstacle, in this modern and uninhibited tale of death, honour and endurance. ...

<><><>

This is a Stunning portrayal of the Times.......Extremely Violent, Very Bloody combat which was the Gladitorial stage...
Explicit Sex, Full frontal nudity & Orgies abound, as does Political corruption.....
Make no mistake this series does not pull any punches, some scenes will sicken you others make you winch, neverthe less they are in keeping with what we know of the Period.
Entertaining...most certainly...Atmospheric..Yes
My only criticism is that the Blood effects sometimes go way over the top, as does the Slow motion action..

So be warned this Series is not for the faint hearted, nor those that will be offended by the sexual content.

9/10
|MYT|Torq wrote:Spartacus : Gods of the Arena UK Certificate 18

Genre : Action/Drama/History

Directed by : various

Starring : John Hannah/Manu Bennett/Lucy Lawless

The House of Batiatus is on the rise, basking in the glow of its infamous champion Gannicus, whose skill with a sword is matched only by his thirst for wine and women. These are the times a young Batiatus has been waiting for. Poised to overthrow his father and take control, he'll freely betray anyone to ensure his gladiators are in the highest demand. And he'll have his loyal and calculating wife Lucretia by his side for every underhanded scheme, drawing on the brazen talents of her seductive friend Gaia when it counts. Together, they will stop at nothing to deceive the masses, seize power and bleed Capua dry .....

<><><>

Prequel to Blood & Sand in Six episodes :
Highly expilicit language & sex...Extreme Brutality, Violence & Gore marked the times this story tells..and how.
Superb Storyline, Performances & Direction ....

Highly Recommended, but be Warned does not flinch in portaying the Roman Period in all its harsh reality.

10/10
|MYT|Torq wrote:Spartacus : Vengeance
UK Certificate 18

Genre : Action/Adventure/Drama

Directed by : various

Starring : Liam McIntyre/Lucy Lawless/Peter Mensah

On the heels of the bloody escape from the House of Batiatus that concluded Spartacus: Blood and Sand, the gladiator rebellion continues and begins to strike fear into the heart of the Roman Republic in Spartacus: Vengeance. Gaius Claudius Glaber and his Roman troops are sent to Capua to crush the growing band of freed slaves that Spartacus leads before it can inflict further damage. Spartacus is presented the choice of satisfying his personal need for vengeance against the man that condemned his wife to slavery and eventual death or making the larger sacrifices necessary to keep his budding army from breaking apart.

<><><>

Awsome...Top draw performances, well scripted & stunning special Effects.
Explicit sex & very Gory scenes compliments.

Highly Recommended

9/10
The sequel Spartacus: War of the Damned is just awesome!

I wont post any synopsis here :D It would sound like a spoil by itself.
Just watch it after watch the previous season Spartacus: Vengeance

It keeps some accuracy of historic key events splendidly dramatized entwined with fictional side histories.

Explicit sex, gore (kids playing with Realflow), strong language, ancient roman harsh reality...

Recommended by Jupiter!

10/10

--------

Now lets wait for 300: Rise of an Empire ;-)
|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader
Discord: |MYT|Torq#8727

Hitchcock
UK certificate 12

Genre : Biography/Drama

Directed by : Sacha Gervasi

Starring : Anthony Hopkins/Helen Mirren/Scarlett Johansson

<><><>

In 1959, Alfred Hitchcock and his wife, Alma, are at the top of their creative game as filmmakers amid disquieting insinuations about it being time to retire. To recapture his youth's artistic daring, Alfred decides his next film will adapt the lurid horror novel, Psycho, over everyone's misgivings. Unfortunately, as Alfred self-finances and labors on this film, Alma finally loses patience with his roving eye and controlling habits with his actresses. When an ambitious friend lures her to collaborate on a work of their own, the resulting marital tension colors Alfred's work even as the novel's inspiration haunts his dreams.

<><><>

An enjoyable biopic of Hitchcock, somewhat over played in parts, but offset by Helen Mirren's superb portrayal of Alma Revell....
If you like good Drama then this is for you...

7/10

Gangster Squad
UK Certificate 15

Genre : Action/Crime/Drama/Thriller

Directed by : Ruben Fleischer

Starring : Sean Penn/Josh Brolin/Ryan Gosling/Nick Nolte/Emma Stone

<><><>

It's 1949 Los Angeles, and gangster Mickey Cohen has moved in, with the intention of controlling all criminal activity in the city. He has bought local judges and police, and no one is willing to cross him or testify against him. Everyone except Seargant John O'Mara, a former World War II soldier, whose goal is to settle with his family in a peaceful Los Angeles. Police Chief William Parker decides to form a special unit whose mission is to take down Cohen, and chooses O'Mara to lead the unit. O'Mara chooses 4 cops and asks another cop and vet, Jerry Wooters to join him but Wooters is not interested. But when he witnesses the murder of a young boy by Cohen's people, he joins them, and they decide to take apart Cohen's organization. Cohen wonders if a rival is going after him, but eventually he realizes it's the cops.

<><><>

An enjoyable crime movie, often violent, with jokes now and then to lighten the mood...
I particularly liked Penn's potrayal of Mickey Cohen....A very Nasty piece of work.
The only down side was the gun fights..seemed somewhat cartoonish...

Worth watching

7/10

Dead Mine
UK certificate 18

Genre : Action/Horror

Directed by : Steven Sheil

Starring : Miki Mizuno/Sam Hazeldine/Ario Bayu

<><><>

A band of treasure hunters set off to a remote Indonesian island searching for wartime gold left behind by the Japanese. Having overcome internal conflicts and the harsh terrain they are attacked by a mysterious enemy. They seek refuge in an old tunnel system, where something far more deadly awaits them…

<><><>

We have been here before.....Nothing special in this outing..
The Direction was good & I recommend that Sheil sticks to that, his Script was poor, the suspense could have been much better...and the ending ..well nuff said.
Disappointing..

4/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

THIS WEEK'S FILMS ON DVD REVIEWED.

Please note that the DVD cover image may vary in different Countries.

Broken City
UK certificate 15

Genre : Crime/Drama/Thriller

Directed by : Allen Hughes

Starring : Mark Wahlberg/Russell Crowe/Catherine Zeta-Jones

<><><>

In New York City, detective Billy Taggart goes to court for the murder of the rapist Mikey Tavarez, but the Mayor Nicholas Hostetler and the Chief of Police Carl Fairbanks vanish with an important evidence and Billy is declared non-guilty by the judge but he leaves the police department. Seven years later, Billy is a private detective that lives his girlfriend Natalie Barrow, who is an aspirant actress and the sister of Mikey's victim. His secretary Katy Bradshaw (Alona Tal) is trying to collect part of the debts to save their business. In the week of the elections, Hostetler summons Billy and offers US$ 50,000 to investigate his wife Cathleen Hostetler that he believes is having a love affair. Billy discovers that Cathleen is meeting Paul Andrews, who is the coordinator of the campaign of Jack Valliant, the opponent of Hostetler and favorite in the election. When Paul is found dead on the street, Billy finds that he had been double-crossed by Hostetler and he decides to investigate the truth behind Paul's murder.

<><><>

A neat crime thriller, well acted particularly by Russell Crowe as the corrupt mayor.
I felt that the storyline was somewhat average with a number of subplots going nowhere...
That said I enjoyed the ride...
Worth a watch

7/10

Hansel & Gretel : Witch Hunters

UK certificate 15

Genre : Action/Fantasy/Horror

Directed by : Tommy Wirkola

Starring : Jeremy Renner/Gemma Arterton/Famke Janssen

<><><>

The siblings Hansel and Gretel are left alone in the woods by their father and captured by a dark witch in a candy house. However they kill the witch and escape from the spot. Years later, the orphans have become famous witch hunters. When eleven children go missing in a small village, the Major summons Hansel and Gretel to rescue them, and they save the red haired Mina from the local sheriff that wants to burn her accusing Mina of witchcraft. Soon they discover that the Blood Moon will approach in three days and the powerful dark witch Muriel is the responsible for the abduction of children. She intends to use the children together with a secret ingredient in a Sabbath to make the coven of witches protected against the fire. Meanwhile Hansel and Gretel disclose secrets about their parents.

<><><>

A fun fantasy horror ride....Yep we seen this type of thing before, but somehow I found this enjoyable.
Well rounded performances & some good special effects compliments the theme.

6.5/10

Texas Chainsaw
UK certificate 18

Genre : Horror/Thriller

Directed by : John Luessenhop

Starring : Alexandra Daddario/Dan Yeager

<><><>

After the first massacre in 1974, the townspeople suspected that the Sawyer family were responsible. A vigilante mob of enraged locals surrounded the Sawyer house, burning it to the ground and killing every last member of the family. Decades later a young woman named Heather learns that she has inherited a Texas estate from her grandmother. she decides to bring her friends along on the road trip to invesitgate her inheritance. On arrival she uncovers she has inherited a mansion but is yet to uncover the terrors that lurk in the basement below it..

<><><>

More of the same really, except that the murder scenes were better staged....Bloody, Gory and in the face violence...
If you like that, then you will like this.

5/10

BaDTimE
Ex-MYT

Elite Squad

In 1997, before the visit of the pope to Rio de Janeiro, Captain Nascimento from BOPE (Military Police of Rio de Janeiro - Special Police Operation Battalion) is assigned to eliminate the risks of the drug dealers in a dangerous slum (favela) nearby where the pope intends to be lodged. Captain Nascimento is trying to find a man to replace him because his wife is pregnant and he intends to quit the command and become a trainer of the new recruits. Meanwhile, the two idealistic friends Neto and Matias join the Military Police force expecting to become honest policemen and fight the criminals. However, they see only corruption, lack of competence and stupid bureaucracy in the Military Police, and after a serious incident in the Morro da Babilônia (Babilônia Hill), they decide to join the BOPE. The lives of Capitain Nascimento, Neto and Matias are entwined along the next months, first in the tough training period and then in action against drug dealers. Nascimento believes that Neto could be his substitute, but his impulsive attitudes jeopardizes his choice. Later, the intelligent Matias seems to be the correct choice, but he needs to prove that he has heart

Facts exposed in this movie are a compilation of real stories narrated in the book "Elite da Tropa" by the Captain Rodrigo Pimentel - who is assumed the protagonist, and the Major André Batista - who is the co-protagonist.

Many polemic facts described in the book were not inserted in the plot, due the big impact that might cause, but they are well known by many, especially among soldier of another Forces. (I even know 1 guy of the book)

The recruit training shown is for lighter than reality, where some already died, and even lighter than the Special Operations Platoon (PUNHAL) of my unity since no one BOPE officer got accomplish the training program. They need more ribs and teeth to be broken ;D
Even actors on training scene were submitted to a hard training program, including the hike and food ^^

Unfortunately the movie is immersed on Rio de Janeiro daily making hard to understand some things, but it's very easy to brazilian society.
Also slang used in favela and military jargons can't be properly translated.

Even the movie being reliable on the decrepit equipment used in 1997 by the Police, note that some scenes have ugly rifles.
The explain is simple: during the shooting of the film, drug dealers stole 90 weapons used in this movie :lol:

If you wanna a masked documentary that's the film. So masked that was refused to be submitted to Oscar by brazilian movie academy.

All facts in movie really happened, and happen often.

PS. I (and more 3 millions) watched the uncuted pirated version released 3 months before the official, so many things changed, but dunno what.

8/10 (IMDb)

Violence / Torture / Strong Language

Elite Squad 2

Captain Nascimento, commander-in-chief of Rio de Janeiro’s BOPE (Special Police Operations Battalion), is promoted to sub-Secretary of Security for the State. After a disastrous operation on a prison riot, Nascimento gets caught in a bloody political dispute that involves not only government officials, but also deadly paramilitary groups known as the militias.

Rio de Janeiro Nowadays - The sequel of Elite Squad is based on the second part of the book "Elite da Tropa" in addition with the new city threat: the paramilitary groups formed by police another forces men.

The compilation of key events of the film were based in notorious facts occurred in Rio de Janeiro / São Paulo, widely spread in media.

The open scenes of incursion in favela with armored heli was performed by the CORE - Elite Squad of Civil Police; who the commander was recently exonerated after do his job - to kill the most wanted drug lord:

Also there are scenes of the real BOPE facility, placed into a favela and took from a drug lord ;D

Lemme post a pic of Air Force's PUNHAL recruits getting into the BOPE facility
PUNHAL.jpg
Good time for Bad times ;D Go and Win!

Unfortunately once again I think it's hard to ppl who don't live in Rio identify those real events.
I can tell the same about the poor english translation showed in this trailer.

I guess it's a good movie anyway for those would like know about the Rio de Janeiro reality and appreciate scenes filled of shots :D

8/10 (IMDb)

Violence / Gore / Torture / Strong Language
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Thx for posting Bad m8y... :)

I have both the Elite Squad titles in my movie collection.

Most times I don't often agree with IMDb ratings , but for the first Elite I do...

The second outing, Elite Squad : The Enemy Within, to my mind was better..so here I gave it 9/10.

Yep very up front violence...

Check out "The Raid" its an indonesian Film.....again an Elite Squad idea....I gave this 8/10...

YT Trailer

<><><>

By the way if u add =wide in the first YT Tag, Like so , u will get wide screen.
BaDTimE
Ex-MYT

Thx m8y :D I will look out for that film for sure :thumbup:
I watched yesterday Zero Dark Thirty and The Hobbit today. I got Centurion to tomorrow.
Actually I'm always digging this thread to find good movies. Be sure that your rates helps me a lot ^^

I can't rate Elite Squad 1/2 cuz, as I said, it covers the underground only known in Brazil. Then I got the IMDb rating.
But there's no mistake in consider then (mainly the first one) a dramatized documentary.
Worth a view to know this city of deep contrasts.

Thx for youtube hint :) I sux with those forum stuff ;P
|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Cloud Atlas
UK certificate 15
165 mins

Genre : Adventure/Drama/Sci-Fi

Directed by : Andy Wachowski/Lana Wachowski/Tom Tykwer

Starring : Tom Hanks/Halle Berry/Jim Broadbent

<><><>

The reincarnation of a soul travels through time beginning with the diary of a potential slave-owner voyaging across the Pacific in 1849, then a talented composer writing letters to a lover in the Britain's 1930s, followed by a reporter investigating a corrupt case about a US nuclear power-plant in the 1970s, succeeded by a publisher's comical entrapment in a nursing home in 2012, followed by a clone's thrilling escape and rebellion in 2144's Korea, and finally a tribesman fighting cannibals in Hawaii in a post-apocalyptic world past 2300. Each story challenges the corrupt norms of the time, changing the course of history, and shaping the future through acts of kindness, big and small.

<><><>

Visually Stunning Epic, Superb adaption of the book, Films like this don't come along often.
Performances are top draw, Direction exemplary...but most important of all the storyline grabs you from the start & does not let go...
The musical score haunting in many ways, compliments.

A must see film for all those that like a solid in depth Sci-Fi adventure/drama

Highly Recommended

10/10

Main Theme & song "Now & Forever" compilation.... Enjoy

A Song from the movie

A Dark Truth
UK certificate 15
102 mins

Genre : Action/Thriller

Directed by : Damian Lee

Starring : Andy Garcia/Kin Coates/Forest Whitaker

<><><>

In the jungles of Ecuador, blood taints the waters. A multinational conglomerate's unholy alliance with a bloodthirsty military regime has resulted in a massacre. Only the rebel Francisco Franco (Forest Whitaker) and his determined wife Mia (Eva Longoria) can prove the truth. To settle a personal debt, former CIA agent Jack Begosian (Andy Garcia) takes on the freelance assignment to rescue Francisco and risks everything in a brutal battle to expose the cover-up.

<><><>

An enjoyable action thriller, spoilt somewhat by average direction & storyline.
Some of the performances matched.

6.5/10

12 Rounds 2 : Reloaded
UK certificate 15
90 mins

Genre : Action

Directed by : Roel Reine

Starring : Randy Orton/Tom Stevens

<><><>

Nick Malloy portrays an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) who finds himself caught in a deadly 12-round game of cat and mouse with a vigilante tied to the paramedic's past. With little time to spare and his wife's life hanging in the balance, the EMT must figure out why he's been chosen to be the pawn in this maniac's game before it's too late.

<><><>

An OK action outing, but left me fidgeting...not good since it means I was bored
If you liked 12 Rounds then this is more of the same.

5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Parker
UK certificate 15
114 mins

Genre : Action/Crime

Directed by : Taylor Hackford

Starring : Jason Statham/Jennifer Lopez/Michael Chiklis

<><><>

Parker (Statham), is a hardened professional criminal who will do whatever it takes to get what he wants, living by his own code of ethics - don t steal from people who can t afford it and don t hurt people who don t deserve it. But when he s double-crossed by his crew and left for dead, it s time for payback. Assuming a disguise and forming an unlikely alliance with a sexy local Palm Beach resident (Lopez), he tracks down the gang, aiming to take everyone out and hijack the score of their latest heist.

<><><>

The usual Statham movie, action & theme.....Yep the action sequences are good.
Those who are Statham fans will like this.

6.5/10

The Numbers Station

UK certificate 15
90 mins

Genre : Action/Thriller

Directed by : Kasper Barfoed

Starring : John Cusack/Malin Akerman

<><><>

When the moral values of a longtime wetwork black ops agent is tested during his last operation, he receives an unfavorable psych evaluation. Now he is given a break and a seemingly uncomplicated assignment of simply protecting the security of a young female code announcer, code resources and remote station they are assigned to. After an ambush and one phone call later, it becomes a complicated fight for their survival.

<><><>

I was disappointed with this film...poorly paced with a rather average storyline..Some of the action scenes were good however...
Cusack has done better.

5/10

Battle Earth
UK certificate 15
85 mins

Genre : Action/Sci-Fi/War

Directed by : Aaron Kurmey

Starring : Kevin Johnson/Adam Munro/Ryan Hatt

<><><>

2015 Omega Day. Confirmation of extraterrestrial life appears on television screens across the world as a massive spacecraft breaks through the atmosphere on a crash course into the Atlantic Ocean. A young paramedic - Baker - signs up to fight for his planet against the invaders. Baker joins the Special Forces members as the squad medic as they escort a classified package by chopper over enemy territory in Southern Alberta. When their chopper is shot down they find themselves surrounded and outnumbered. Desperate to return to his wife s side and haunted by nightmares, Baker finds that his role in the war has quickly become much larger than he could have ever imagined.

<><><>

Originally known as "The Medic"....and I need one after watching this mess.
Poor jerky camera work, dire script & CGI ...ummm well nuff said

2.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

The Assassination
aka Assassination of a High School President
UK certificate 15
89 mins

Genre : Comedy/Crime/Mystery

Directed by : Brett Simon

Starring : Bruce Willis/Mischa Barton/Reece Daniel Thompson

<><><>

There is something, or someone, rotten at St Donavan's High School, and Bobby is determined to uncover the dirty truth. His complicated conspiracy to overthrow the high school president soon escalates in to a sordid obsession about sex, suspicion, drugs and politics creating s satire of unfortunate sequences. Will he crack the case or will the case crack him…

<><><>

A neat Comedy/Mystery with Willis as the Hard nosed Principle on top form....
If you like this kind of movie then I can recommend..

6.5/10

Atlantic Rim
UK certificate 12
84 mins

Genre : Action/Sci-Fi

Directed by : Jared Cohn

Starring : Anthony Criss/David Chokachi/Graham Greene

<><><>

When giant monsters crawl out of the Atlantic Ocean and attack the Eastern Seaboard, the US Government is forced to trust A.I. robots to defend the country.

<><><>

Pacific Rim it is definately not....
Poor acting, Storyline & Special Effects.
Please pass this drivel by.

The Trailer is the only bit thats even remotely worth watching.

2/10

Dead Souls

UK certificate 18
92 mins

Genre : Horror

Directed by : Colin Theys

Starring : Jesse James/Bill Moseley/Magda Aponowicz

<><><>

Johnny Petrie learns on his 18th birthday that he was adopted after inheriting a farm in Maine. Eager to start a new life, Johnny leaves home so he can began afresh in this "new" dwelling. However, Johnny soon discovers that the farm, which has been abandoned for eighteen years since his natural family died, harbors a horrifying history about the deaths of said natural family.

<><><>

A good supernatural horror movie with some scary moments, let down some what by a slow beginning...
Still Horror fans may like it...

5/10

|MYT|Kuchar
Honorary Member
Discord: mrkuchar #2722
Origin: Mr_Kuchar
Steam: s...unity.com/id/mrkuchar
Uplay: MrKucharr

Oblivion (2013)
124 min

Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Director: Joseph Kosinski
Stars: Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko

<><><>

One of the few remaining drone repairmen assigned to Earth, its surface devastated after decades of war with the alien Scavs, discovers a crashed spacecraft with contents that bring into question everything he believed about the war, and may even put the fate of mankind in his hands.

<><><>

Good movie with nice graphic and music.
8/10 from me :)
Torqen give me ur imdb profile name if u have :)
|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

GI Joe : Retaliation
UK certificate 12
106 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi/Thriller

Directed by : Jon M. Chu

Starring : Dwayne Johnson/Byung-hun Lee/D.J. Cotrona/Adrianne Palicki

<><><>

Framed for crimes against the country, the G.I. Joe team is terminated by the President's order, and the surviving team members face off against Zartan, his accomplices, and the world leaders he has under his influence.

<><><>

oh yes...All action from beginning to end....Comic book hero stuff & most enjoyable...
Hardly a meaningfull storyline, but the action sequences are awsome..
Those that like action will like this.....

6.5/10

Please note some YT trailers have a short advert.

The Fourth State
UK certificate 15
111 mins

Genre : Thriller

Directed by : Dennis Gansel

Starring : Moritz Bleibtreu/Kasia Smutniak/Max Riemelt

<><><>

Hot-shot young editor, Paul Jensen, needs a fresh start. So, when Onegin - an old friend of his deceased father's - invites him to shake up the society pages of top Russian magazine 'Moscow Match', Paul leaves behind the relative comforts of Berlin for fame in the Russian capital, quickly making friends and perhaps finding love in the shape of the mysterious and beautiful Katya. But everything changes when Paul witnesses the murder of a fellow journalist and makes the mistake of running a story on it without permission... This seemingly innocent action opens up a Pandora's box of problems. Paul and Katya soon find themselves dragged into a dangerous world of terrorism, espionage and politics that threatens to change - or end - their lives.

<><><>

A reasonable Conspiracy thriller, well acted..my only gripe is that the storyline was not focused enougth..
That said it makes a change to see this type of movie..

6/10

Red Dawn
UK certificate 12
90 mins

Genre : Action/War

Directed by : Dan Bradley

Starring : Chris Hemsworth/Josh Peck/Adrianne Palicki

<><><>

The citizens of Spokane, a small town in Washington state, awaken to the sight of North Korean paratroopers dropping from the sky. The U.S.A. has been invaded and their hometown is the initial target. Without warning, the town is unable to fight back and finds itself under enemy occupation. Evading capture, a group of young patriots - led by Jed Eckert (Hemsworth) seek refuge in the surrounding woods, training and reorganising themselves to become a guerilla group of fighters. Taking inspiration from their high school mascot, they call themselves the Wolverines , banding together to protect one another, liberate their town from its captors and take back their freedom.

<><><>

This is a remake of the 1984 movie starring Patrick Swayze....and not a bad effort.
Unfortunately the performances & action sequences are average & the storyline compliments that.

To be honest the budget could have been better spent elsewhere..

5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

The Host
UK certificate 12
120 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Romance/Sci-Fi/Thriller

Directed by : Andrew Niccol

Starring : Saoirse Ronan/William Hurt/Jake Abel/Max Irons

<><><>

An alien race has begun colonising Earth by taking over human bodies and erasing their minds and memories and only a small band of survivors remain
who are working to protect themselves from extinction. One of them is Melanie Stryder (Saoirse Ronan), who, when out on a search for food, meet
another human being named Jared Howe (Max Irons) and it isn't long before they begin to develop feelings for one another. However, when Melanie is
taken by the alien species and is made host to one of their own, it seems all hope is lost. That is, until Melanie's mind begins to fight back against her new
inhabitor and her human emotions and memories ignite some empathy in the alien parasite.

<><><>

This movie had mixed reviews, all I can say is I enjoyed it.
The storyline was good & the performances matched....if you like your Sci-Fi with some thoughtful moments & romance then you will like this.
The action scenes were neat as were the special effects.

Recommended

7.5/10

Pawn
UK certificate 15
85 mins

Genre : Crime/Thriller

Directed by : David A. Armstrong

Starring : Max Beesley/Michael Chiklis/Sean Faris

<><><>

An all-night diner. A cop walks in on a robbery in progress. But what happens next - and what happened just before - will change everything you think you
know. The building is now surrounded. There are restless fingers on every trigger. And one very intense hostage situation is about to take some extremely
shocking twists.

<><><>

Good performances in this crime thriller, but the storyline I felt was muddled in places, and the ending could have been better.
That said worth a look.

6/10

Sanitarium
UK certificate 15
108 mins

Directed by : Bryan Ortiz/Bryan Ramirez/Kerry Valderrama

Starring : Malcolm McDowell/Lou Diamond Phillips/Robert Englund

<><><>

Three stories of the mentally ill: 1. Artist begins taking orders from the dolls he exhibits. 2. Eight year old boy, cruel father, concerned teacher and
hallucinatory monster come into conflict. 3. Professor convinced of the Mayan apocalypse prophesies, builds bomb shelter to save his family.

<><><>

An atmospheric trip into psychological horror, and is well performed...
Not really my cup of tea though, nonetheless an interesting study in insanity.

4.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Dark Skies
UK certificate 15
93 mins

Genre : Horror/Sci-Fi/Thriller

Directed by : Scott Charles Stewart

Starring : Keri Russell/Josh Hamilton/Dakota Goyo

<><><>

Lucy and Daniel Barrett (Keri Russell and Josh Hamilton) are suburban parents trying to get by and provide for their sons. The struggles of normal life become extraordinary as the Barretts start to experience an escalating series of disturbing phenomena occurring around their home. Soon, the Barretts begin falling victim to alarming physical and mental afflictions, leading them to believe that they are being targeted by an unimaginable deadly force which they must uncover by any means necessary.

<><><>

A good Alien abduction storyline that keeps you interested...OK there is not much Horror, but there are some chilling moments.
Execellent performances & special effects compliments.

Recommended

6.5/10

The Seasoning House
UK certificate 18
89 mins

Directed by : Paul Hyett

Starring : Rosie Day/Sean Pertwee/Kevin Howarth

<><><>

The Seasoning House is a grim and soulless place where young girls are bought and sold for men s pleasure. Here we meet Angel (Rosie Day), a young, orphaned girl enslaved by Viktor (Kevin Howarth). Unbeknown to her master, she moves between the walls and crawlspaces of the house silently observing, learning and planning for her escape. When her closest confident is savagely killed, Angel can no longer contain her rage and sets out through both ingenuity and brutality to seek justice...

<><><>

Oh this is a brutal film..make no mistake it does not flinch from the depravity of some men to defenceless women in war...
Highly graphic storyline is in tune with the sense of menace all the way through this film.

Recommended but please bare in mind in it is a grim tale of revenge.

7/10

Welcome to The Punch

UK certificate 15
95 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Crime/Thriller

Directed by : Eran Creevy

Starring : James McAvoy/Mark Strong/Andrea Riseborough

<><><>

Ex-con Jacob Sternwood (Mark Strong) is forced to return to London from his hideout in Iceland when his son gets caught up in a heist gone wrong. His reappearance gives detective Max Lewinsky (James McAvoy) the chance he has long been waiting for to take down his old nemesis. But as their cat-and-mouse game unfolds, the two men end up becoming unlikely allies and working together to expose a deeper and more sinister conspiracy.

<><><>

Not a bad thriller..some good action sequences & solid performances by the cast, but this does not seem to make up for a shallow storyline...
A bit more attention to developing the characters would have helped improve that.

Nonetheless worth a watch.

5.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

The Place beyond The Pines

UK certificate 15
135 mins

Genre :Crime/Drama

Directed by : Derek Cianfrance

Starring : Ryan Gosling/Bradley Cooper/Eva Mendes

<><><>

A mysterious and mythical motorcycle racer, Luke, (Ryan Gosling) drives out of a traveling carnival globe of death and whizzes through the backstreets of Schenectady, New York, desperately trying to connect with a former lover, Romina, (Eva Mendes) who recently and secretly gave birth to the stunt rider's son. In an attempt to provide for his new family, Luke quits the carnival life and commits a series of bank robberies aided by his superior riding ability. The stakes rise as Luke is put on a collision course with an ambitious police officer, Avery Cross, (Bradley Cooper) looking to quickly move up the ranks in a police department riddled with corruption. The sweeping drama unfolds over fifteen years as the sins of the past haunt the present days lives of two high school boys wrestling with the legacy they've inherited. The only refuge is found in the place beyond the pines.

<><><>

I found this film fascinating as a drama about Fathers and sons & the different paths they took....If I were to critise the film it would be that it lost some focus towards the end.
However I Recommend to all those that like Drama..

7.5/10

Side Effects
UK certificate 15
102 mins

Genre : Crime/Drama/Thriller

Directed by : Steven Soderbergh

Starring : Jude Law/Rodney Mara/Catherine Zeta-Jones/Channing Tatum

<><><>

Emily Taylor, despite being reunited with her husband from prison, becomes severely depressed with emotional episodes and suicide attempts. Her psychiatrist, Jonathan Banks, after conferring with her previous doctor, eventually prescribes an experimental new medication called Ablixa. The plot thickens when the side effects of the drug lead to Emily killing her husband in a "sleepwalking" state. With Emily plea-bargained into mental hospital confinement and Dr. Banks' practice crumbling around him, the case seems closed. However, Dr. Banks cannot accept full responsibility and investigates to clear his name. What follows is a dark quest that threatens to tear what's left of his life apart even as he discovers the diabolical truth of this tragedy.

<><><>

What a twisted deceptive tale which will grip you...as one might expect a top cast & great performances....
Soderbergh usual direction compliments.

Recommended

7/10

Trance
UK certificate 15
97 mins

Genre : Crime/Drama/Mystery/Thriller

Directed by : Danny Boyle

Starring : James McAvoy/Vincent Cassel/Rosario Dawson

<><><>

A fine art auctioneer mixed up with a gang joins forces with a hypnotherapist to recover a lost painting. As boundaries between desire, reality and hypnotic suggestion begin to blur the stakes rise faster than anyone could have anticipated.

<><><>

Another twisty tale of hypnotism, flash backs & reality...The storyline for me was to clever for its own good, so twisted in places that I lost the thread.
Anyway not a bad effort by Boyle.

6.5/10

Return to “Entertainment”