THIS WEEK'S FILMS ON DVD REVIEWED

Extraction
UK certificate 15
88 mins

Genre : Action/Thriller

Directed by : Steven C. Miller

Starring : Bruce Willis/Kellan Lutz/Gina Carano

<><><>

A former CIA operative is kidnapped by a group of terrorists. When his son learns there is no plan for his father to be saved, he launches his own rescue operation.

<><><>

Oh dear ,,not the Willis of old action movie...This one is tired and just average...
The action sequences were ok but the storyline lacked the pace those created.
It seems that Willis will take anything on thses days...sad really.

4.5/10

Lord of Tears aka The Owlman
UK certificate 15
100 mins

Genre : Drama/Horror

Directed by : Lawrie Brewster

Starring : David Schofield/Lexy Hulme/Euan Douglas

<><><>

James Findlay, a school teacher is plagued by recurring nightmares of a mysterious and unsettling entity. Suspecting that his visions are linked to a dark incident in his past, James returns to his childhood home, a notorious mansion in the Scottish Highlands, where he uncovers the disturbing truth behind his dreams, and must fight to survive the brutal consequences of his curiosity.

<><><>

This film makes a change from the usual horror....Atmospheric with good characterization and a storyline of gothic horror full of dread.
I particularly liked the empathy between the lead actors..(Actresses these days are known as actors lol).
Nice cinematography of the Scottish Highlands compliments.

6.5/10

Mississippi Grind
UK certificate 15
108 mins

Genre : Drama

Directed by : Ryan Fleck/Anna Boden

Starring : Ryan Reynolds/Sienna Miller/Ben Mendelsohn

<><><>

Gerry is a talented poker player whose habit is getting the best of him. He convinces younger player Curtis to join him on a road trip, and they begin gambling their way towards a high-stakes game in New Orleans. During their journey, true motivations are revealed, and the two bond.

<><><>

This film gives a very realistic portrayal of a compulsive gambler ,,
The storyline is fine as are the performances....but I think you need like this kind of drama to appreciate it.

Not for everyone then...

6.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader
Discord: |MYT|Torq#8727

Re: FILMS on DVD Reviewed Part 2

Mockingjay : Part 2
UK certificate 12
131 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi

Directed by : Francis Lawrence

Starring : Jennifer Lawrence/Josh Hutcherson/Liam Hemsworth

<><><>

With the nation of Panem in a full scale war, Katniss confronts President Snow in the final showdown. Teamed with a group of her closest friends – including Gale, Finnick, and Peeta – Katniss goes off on a mission with the unit from District 13 as they risk their lives to stage an assassination attempt on President Snow who has become increasingly obsessed with destroying her. The mortal traps, enemies, and moral choices that await Katniss will challenge her more than any arena she faced in The Hunger Games.

<><><>

Again mixed reviews, on my part I found the movie slow to start with, however the character development was better than part 1.
The action scenes and visual effects were excellent and in keeping withe the storyline.

However I was not entirely satisfied with this outing.

6.5/10

Avarice aka Black Box
UK certificate 15
94 mins

Genre : Sci-Fi

Directed by : Matthew Schilling

Starring : Brad Dourif/Kevin Sorbo/Tinsel Korey

<><><>

Vastly different people collide as a mysterious black box shows the owner what he most desires, but payback comes in the form of an immortal assassin.

<><><>

A good idea lost in storyline dotted with much confusion and to top it all poor acting...
I suppose it was entertaining, but really only for those that like bad B movies and
an ending that compliments.

3.5/10

Indigenous aka Prey
UK certificate 15
82 mins

Genre : Horror

Directed by : Alastair Orr

Starring : Zachary Soetenga/Lindsey McKeon/Sofia Pernas

<><><>

A group of five American friends on the cusp of adulthood travel to Panama to relax and reconnect. They befriend a local woman in their hotel bar—and despite some ominous whispers—she goes against the specific instructions of her brother and brings the Americans on a daytrip into the pristine falls at the nearby jungle. What begins as an innocent outing to a picturesque waterfall quickly turns terrifying after she suddenly goes missing. As night closes in, the friends realize too late the truth behind the rumors—the legendary, blood-sucking Chupacabra is now stalking them.

<><><>

Another predictable romp in the jungle....
Performances were fine as was the cinematography.
But we have been there before..Mildly entertaining then with some good visual effects for the budget.

5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Bridge Of Spies
UK certificate 12
142 mins

Genre : Drama/History/Thriller

Directed by : Steven Spielberg

Starring : Tom Hanks/Mark Rylance/Amy Ryan

<><><>

During the Cold War, the Soviet Union captures U.S. pilot Francis Gary Powers after shooting down his U-2 spy plane. Sentenced to 10 years in prison, Powers' only hope is New York lawyer James Donovan, recruited by a CIA operative to negotiate his release. Donovan boards a plane to Berlin, hoping to win the young man's freedom through a prisoner exchange. If all goes well, the Russians would get Rudolf Abel, the convicted spy who Donovan defended in court.

<><><>

Back to good solid drama, with superb performance by Tom Hanks and masterful direction by Spielberg.
The Storyline was slow in places but the acting took care of that.
Excellent cinematography added to the atmosphere particularly in the winter scenes.

So Entertaining, yes...Engrossing, yes... All in all a movie for those that like top draw drama.

9/10

Curve
UK certificate 15
82 mins

Genre : Horror/Thriller

Directed by : Iain Softley

Starring : Julianne Hough/Teddy Sears/Penelope Mitchell

<><><>

On a long road trip to join her fiance, a young woman picks up a hitchhiker who terrorizes her. The woman ends up trapped in her wrecked car, finally able to escape and overpower her tormentor.

<><><>

An average survival movie with OK performances...
One wonders how many more times is someone going to pick up a hitchhiker...
So one for those that have time to spare and like a little bit of horror before turning in.

5.5/10

Dragon Blade
UK certificate 15
99 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Drama/History

Directed by : Daniel Lee

Starring : Jackie Chan/John Cusack/Adrien Brody

<><><>

When corrupt Roman leader Tiberius arrives with a giant army to claim the Silk Road, Huo An and his group of trained warriors teams up with an elite legion of defected Roman soldiers led by General Lucius to maintain the delicate balance of power in the region. To protect his country and his new friends, Huo An gathers the warriors of thirty-six ethnic nations together to fight Tiberius in an incredible epic battle.

<><><>

Another movie which got mixed reviews....
On my part I found it entertaining, but I have to say there were some disappointments.
Cusack's character was a tad lame, the storyline was average but the fight scenes were good.
Not my usual fare then and I guess one for Jackie Chan fans.....

6.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Another World
UK certificate 15
96 mins

Genre : Action/Horror/Sci-Fi

Directed by : Eitan Reuven

Starring : Zach Cohen/Susanne Gschwendtner/Davina Kevelson

<><><>

In a post-apocalyptic future, a biological warfare program gone wrong leaves only four survivors defending themselves from "the infected" - mindless killers. As they struggle to survive and make sense of what is happening, they find another survivor, intent on revealing the truth.

<><><>

First off this is not a zombie movie but more about infected humans.

The storyline is ok but I thought that the plot and acting average.
I don't like shaky camera work and I wish directors would get away from this kind of cinematography.
That said the film is not bad....

5.5/10

Close Range
UK certificate 15
81 mins

Genre : Action/Crime

Directed by : Isaac Florentine

Starring : Scott Adkins/Nick Chinlund/Caitlin Keats

<><><>

A rogue soldier turned outlaw is thrust into a relentless fight with a corrupt sheriff, his obedient deputies, and a dangerous drug cartel in order to protect his sister and her young daughter.

<><><>

Not a particularly good Film ....Adkins could do better.
However the fight choreography was good and in keeping with the general theme and Adkins character.
One for action addicts with a bit of spare time on there hands.

5.5/10

Martyrs
UK certificate 18
81 mins

Genre : Drama/Horror/Thriller

Directed by : Kevin Goetz/Michael Goetz

Starring : Troian Bellisario/Bailey Noble/Kate Burton

<><><>

A woman and her childhood friend seek out revenge on those who victimized and abused them.

<><><>

A remake of the french film of the same name and not as good.
The plot was dumbed down as was the violence,
just did not match the stark brutality of the original....still gory but without surprises.
The performances were average ....what one might expect from a teen slasher.

For my money watch the original 2008 film, much better in every way (my rating 7.5/10)......

4/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Against the Sun
UK certificate 12
95 mins

Genre : Adventure/Drama/War

Directed by : Brian Falk

Starring : Tom Felton/Garret Dillahunt/Jake Abel

<><><>

A WWII pilot, bombardier, and radioman find themselves adrift on a lifeboat without food or water after being forced to ditch their plane during a scouting mission.

<><><>

Not bad if you like to watch an unfolding drama in a life raft....
The production values were not that high and it partly showed in the CG effects....
The performances were ok, and since this was based on true events, the storyline was as well.

Sadly I felt a tad bored by the middle of the film, but perhaps I was spoiled by Robert Redford's "All is lost".

5.5/10

Awaken aka Left to Die
UK certificate 15
95 mins

Genre : Action/Horror/Mystery

Directed by : Mark Atkins

Starring : Edward Furlong/Daryl Hannah/Vinnie Jones

<><><>

Billie Kope, searching for her sister who disappeared in Mexico, awakens on a remote island with no memory of her abduction. She teams up with a group of survivors, where her skills in Russian Special Forces combat help them resist sinister black operations soldiers who hunt them down and abduct them for reasons unknown. For Billie, the mystery of the island is ultimately connected to the fate of her missing sister and one which when uncovered, will bring violence down on not only the island but the perpetrators of this bizarre and diabolical scheme in continual need of fresh victims to awaken.

<><><>

Oh no not another Vinnie Jones epic...
Action and blood but hardly a storyline to follow...dire script, chronic editing, past it direction.
I guess if you like Vinnie then watch this....action was not bad.

3.5/10

Victor Frankenstein
UK certificate 12
110 mins

Genre : Drama/Sci-Fi/Thriller

Directed by : Paul McGuigan

Starring : James McAvoy/Daniel Radcliffe/Jessica Brown Findlay

<><><>

Radical scientist Victor Frankenstein and his equally brilliant protégé Igor Strausman share a noble vision of aiding humanity through their groundbreaking research into immortality. But Victor's experiments go too far, and his obsession has horrifying consequences. Only Igor can bring his friend back from the brink of madness and save him from his monstrous creation.

<><><>

Enjoyable enough I guess but why do we have to have another Frankenstein film albeit a little different.
I found the film's storyline a tad predictable ....many cheesy moments and a rare siting of the monster if that is what it was.
Altogether a bit of a disappointment.

5.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Star Wars Episode VII : The Force Awakens
UK certificate 12
132 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Fantasy/.Sci-Fi

Directed by : J.J. Abrams

Starring : Harrison Ford/Mark Hamill/Carrie Fisher

<><><>

Three decades after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, a new threat arises. The First Order attempts to rule the galaxy and only a ragtag group of heroes can stop them, along with the help of the Resistance.

<><><>

I thought oh no not more Star Wars...But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
An entertaining ride with much action and awesome visual effects.
I liked Ripley's performance as Rey, however Harrison's was a tad laid back...
The down side I guess was that it could have been better in introducing new props instead of using old.
In coming up with new ideas rather than relying on a slightly different slant on old storeyline.

Still entertaining enough, although die hard Star war fans may be disappointed.

8/10

Fire City : End of Days
UK certificate 15
96 mins

Genre : Action/Horror/Thriller

Directed by : Tom Woodruff Jr.

Starring : Tobias Jelinek/Danielle Chuchran/Keely Aloña

<><><>

Vine, a disillusioned demon, secretly lives with others of his kind in the world of humans sustained by their misery. Forced into a choice to save his brethren or an innocent human girl, the delicate balance between human and demon kind is threatened, which may result in war.

<><><>

A pretty average horror which could have been better if more dramatic and violent.
A lost opportunity then...poorly executed storyline.

4.5/10

The Survivalist
UK certificate 18
99 mins

Directed by : Stephen Fingleton

Starring : Martin McCann/Mia Goth/Olwen Fouere

<><><>

In a time of starvation, a survivalist lives off a small plot of land hidden deep in forest. When two women seeking food and shelter discover his farm, he finds his existence threatened.

<><><>

A bleak often slow burning storyline which has some brutal moments...
Well acted and complimented by solid cinematography which help to develop the sense of isolation.

However it is a gloomy film and will not be to every ones taste...so be warned.

6.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

THIS WEEK'S FILMS ON DVD

IP man 3

UK certificate 15
101 mins

Genre : Action/Biography/Drama/History

Directed by : Wilson Yip

Starring : Donnie Yen/Lynn Hung/Jin Zhang/Mike Tyson

Special Note : Cantonese language film with English sub-titles. English Dubbed also available.

<><><>

When a band of brutal gangsters led by a crooked property developer make a play to take over the city, Master Ip is forced to take a stand.

<><><>

Not my usual watch but I am glad I did.
Top draw fight choreography and good performances make for an entertaining film.
At times poignant, often brutal but a well directed storyline, with more depth to characterization than in previous outings....
IP man fans will like this.

Recommended

7/10

Krampus
UK certificate 15
94 mins

Genre : Comedy/Fantasy/Horror

Directed by : Michael Dougherty

Starring : Adam Scott/Toni Collette/David Koechner

<><><>

When his dysfunctional family clashes over the holidays, young Max is disillusioned and turns his back on Christmas. Little does he know, this lack of festive spirit has unleashed the wrath of Krampus: a demonic force of ancient evil intent on punishing non-believers. All hell breaks loose as beloved holiday icons take on a monstrous life of their own, laying siege to the fractured family's home and forcing them to fight for each other if they hope to survive.

<><><>

Not a bad comedy horror but could have been better....
The film started well but tended to slide after that.
A bit silly for my taste....

6/10

Listening aka Brainstorm
UK certificate 15
94 mins

Directed by : Khalil Sullins

Starring : Thomas Stroppel/Artie Ahr/Amber Marie Bollinger

<><><>

A team of genius-but-broke grad students invent mind-reading technology that destroys their lives and threatens the future of free-will itself.

<><><>

An interesting premise which in my view was delivered in a lack lustre way...
A pity really because the performances were solid enough.
Don't expect heaps of Sci-fi..It is more drama than science.

5.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

In The Heart Of The Sea
UK certificate 12
117 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Biography/Drama/History/Thriller

Directed by : Ron Howard

Starring : Chris Hemsworth/Benjamin Walker/Cillian Murphy

<><><>

In the winter of 1820, the New England whaling ship Essex was assaulted by something no one could believe: a whale of mammoth size and will, and an almost human sense of vengeance. The real-life maritime disaster would inspire Herman Melville’s Moby Dick.  But that told only half the story.  “Heart of the Sea” reveals the encounter’s harrowing aftermath, as the ship’s surviving crew is pushed to their limits and forced to do the unthinkable to stay alive.  Braving storms, starvation, panic and despair, the men will call into question their deepest beliefs, from the value of their lives to the morality of their trade, as their captain searches for direction on the open sea and his first mate still seeks to bring the great whale down.

<><><>

An engaging, sumptuous seafaring tale that keeps you entertained.
Good performances are complimented by excellent visual effects and cinematography..

Yes there are some moments which are slow, but in the main a good storyline.

Recommended

7/10

Cherry Tree
UK certificate 18

Directed by : David Keating

Starring : Naomi Battrick/Sam Hazeldine/Anna Walton

<><><>

Faith’s world is turned upside down after she finds out that her beloved father is dying. When the mysteriously alluring Sissy Young becomes her field hockey coach, Faith finds a compassionate spirit and much-needed mother figure. Little does she know that Sissy is the head of a centuries-old witches’ coven that uses the fruit of an ancient cherry tree in a secret ritual that restores life to the dead and dying. Offering to cure her father in exchange for a child, Sissy strikes a bargain with Faith, who suddenly finds herself pregnant with a baby that’s growing at an alarming rate. But with the clock to the child’s birth ticking down and the true intention of Sissy’s plans for humanity becoming more apparent, Faith and her father must stand together in order to save both their lives.

<><><>

This could have been much better if only the visual effects were quality.
The storyline and plot were average at best and some how lacked coherence.
Yep the usual amount of gore.

One I think for horror addicts ....

4.5/10

The Den aka Hacked
UK certificate 18
81 mins

Genre : Horror/Mystery/Thriller

Directed by : Zachary Donohue

Starring : Melanie Papalia/Matt Riedy/Adam Shapiro

<><><>

A young woman studying the habits of webcam chat users from the apparent safety of her apartment witnesses a brutal murder online and is quickly immersed in a nightmare in which she and her loved ones are targeted for the same grisly fate as the first victim.

<><><>

As I have often said in the past I am not a fan of the found footage style, but this film is better than most.
Very violent and tense which keeps you on the edge of your seat.
The story starts well but has a tendency to descend into absurdity.

Worth a watch

6/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

The Hateful Eight
UK certificate 18
161 mins

Genre : Crime/Drama/Mystery/Thriller/Western

Directed by : Quentin Tarantino

Starring : Samuel L. Jackson/Kurt Russell/Jennifer Jason Leigh

<><><>

Some time after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the wintry Wyoming landscape. Bounty hunter John Ruth and his fugitive captive Daisy Domergue race towards the town of Red Rock, where Ruth will bring Daisy to justice. Along the road, they encounter Major Marquis Warren (an infamous bounty hunter) and Chris Mannix (a man who claims to be Red Rock's new sheriff). Lost in a blizzard, the bunch seeks refuge at Minnie's Haberdashery. As the storm overtakes the mountainside, the eight travelers come to learn that they might not make it to Red Rock after all...

<><><>

This film is long on dialogue particularly the first half...but there are some very violent moments, typical Tarantino.
The performances were top draw as was the storyline....superb cinematography compliments.
Not for everyone then particularly if you don't like drama, but I do recommend the film, so give it a try.

8/10

Anguish
UK certificate 15
88 mins

Genre : Drama/Horror

Directed by : Sonny Mallhi

Starring : Ryan Simpkins/Annika Marks/Karina Logue

<><><>

A girl, Tess, is diagnosed with an identity disorder that may actually be channeling an evil, dead spirit inside of her.

<><><>

Very average unoriginal storyline about possession..
We have been here many timesbefore, so I wonder why they keep pumping out the same old tripe.
Performances were fine, but somehow I was not particularly interested.

4/10

Synchronicity
UK certificate 15
96 mins

Genre : Mystery/Sci-fi/Thriller

Directed by : Jacob Gentry

Starring : Chad McKnight/Brianne Davis/AJ Bowen

<><><>

A daring physicist folds time to travel into the past, trying to stop a mysterious woman from stealing his invention. But once there, he uncovers a surprising truth about the machine, the woman, and his own fractured reality.

<><><>

There are not many time travel films these days...this one is ok.
The storyline was fine although there were a number of plot incoherence's.
Performances were good to, particularly the leads....

One I think for Sci-fi addicts who like something different in the genre.

6/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Creed
UK certificate 12
128 mins

Genre : Drama/Sport

Directed by : Ryan Coogler

Starring : Sylvester Stallone/Phylicia Rashad/Michael B. Jordan

<><><>

Adonis Johnson is the son of the famous boxing champion Apollo Creed, who died in a boxing match in Rocky IV (1985). Adonis wasn't born until after his father's death and wants to follow his fathers footsteps in boxing. He seeks a mentor who is the former heavyweight boxing champion and former friend of Apollo Creed, the retired Rocky Balboa. Rocky eventually agrees to mentor Adonis. With Rocky's help they hope to get a title job to face even deadlier opponents than his father. But whether he is a true fighter remains to be seen....

<><><>

I thought to myself not another Rocky spin-off but I was pleasantly surprised.
The build up of the characters is solid for once and Stallone is on top form.
The storyline is a tad absurd in places but generally does the job.
The boxing scenes were excellent, powerful and brutal.
Overall I was entertained..

Recommended

7.5/10

I Am Wrath
UK certificate 15
89 mins

Genre : Action/Crime/Drama/Thriller

Directed by : Chuck Russell

Starring : John Travolta/Christopher Meloni/Amanda Schull

<><><>

A man is out for justice after a group of corrupt police officers are unable to catch his wife's killer.

<><><>

An entertaining action movie and a better one of Travolta's recent efforts.
Brutal as one might expect, but not over the top.
The storyline was a tad predictable since the plot has been done many times before.
The special effects and action scenes were good though.

6.5/10

Some Kind Of Hate
UK certificate 18
80 mins

Directed by : Adam Egypt Martimer

Starring : Ronen Rubinstein/Grace Phipps/Sierra McCormick

<><><>

When a troubled teen is subjected to severe bullying, he accidentally conjures the vengeful ghost of Moira Karp. Once a teenage girl pushed to suicide, Moira is now an unstoppable force on a mission of gruesome retribution. But when she goes to far, he must prevent her from spiraling out of control.

<><><>

Well I have to say a bloody gore fest...eventually.
It has been done better by others.but It does have some good elements.
Mainly the visual effects....
One I think for addicts of horror with nothing much else to watch.

4.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

The Call Up
UK certificate15
87 mins

Genre : Action/Sci-Fi

Directed by : Charles Barker

Starring : Max Deacon/Morfydd Clark/Ali Cook

<><><>

A group of online gamers are invited to try a state-of-the-art virtual reality video game but things take a turn for the sinister when these masters of the shoot 'em up discover they will literally be fighting for their lives.

<><><>

An average action Sci-Fi story with visual effects that are adequate but not outstanding.
I guess with a bigger budget, production values could have been improved.
But it was not to be.
One for those with time on there hands.

5/10

Dark Signal
UK certificate 18
94 mins

Genre : Horror/Mystery/Thriller

Directed by : Edward Evers-Swindell

Starring : Siwan Morris/Gareth David-Lloyd/Joanna Ignaczewska

<><><>

The spirit of a murdered girl returns with a message. Now a stranded woman must team up with the staff of a local station to solve the mystery of her death.

<><><>

It is not often these days that I jump at a scene or two in Horror movies..but I did in this one.
A neat horror for once with a good storyline and decent performances.
The special effects were good to considering the budget.
So one to watch.

6.5/10

The Timber

UK certificate 15
77 mins

Genre : Adventure/Drama/Western

Directed by : Anthony O'Brien

Starring : Josh Peck/James Ransone/David Bailie

<><><>

In the wild west, two brothers embark on a journey to collect a bounty in a desperate attempt to save their home: but what they find along the way is more than they bargained for.

<><><>

A slow burn entertaining western set in winter, which seems to be in vogue these days.
Excellent cinematography is complimented by good performances and special effects.
Nowhere as good as "The Hateful Eight" but I guess I expected that.

6/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

The 5th Wave
UK certificate 15
109 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi/Thriller

Directed by : J Blakeson

Starring : Chloe Grace Moretz/Ron Livingston/Maggie Siff

<><><>

Aliens attack Earth in 5 waves, the 1st wave being a permanent blackout of power, setting earth back into the Stone Age. The 2nd wave being a massive tsunami, killing off all coastal cities. The 3rd wave being a plague caused by birds, leaving only the unlucky alive. The 4th wave being humans with activated alien brains. And what's the 5th wave... Well that's what Cassie Sullivan wants to know. As she goes to fulfill a promise she'd made, to return to her brother, she meets Evan Walker, a strange but beautiful boy with a secret he won't tell her. But the closer she gets with Evan the closer she gets to getting her brother and unraveling the secrets of the 5th Wave.

<><><>

Average storyline which gets confused in the second half of the film.
A promising start badly let down later....
The performances were ok if you like a teen style script...the special effects what there was of them werefine.
I guess it was entertaining but only if you have time to spare.

5.5/10

The Hexecutioners
UK certificate 15
93 mins

Directed by : Jesse Thomas Cook

Starring : Liv Collins/Sarah Power/Timothy Burd

<><><>

Two disparate young women working for a company that conducts euthanasia are dispatched to a remote estate to perform a custom assisted-suicide ritual, but unwittingly summon the wraiths of a Death Cult that once inhabited the property.

<><><>

Another very average horror......if that is what it was.
Performances were OK but there is only a certain amount you can do when the script is poor.
A pity the movie had potential.

4.5/10

The Big Short
UK certificate 15
125 mins

Genre : Biography/Comedy/Drama

Directed by : Adam McKay

Starring : Christian Bale/Steve Carell/Ryan Gosling/Brad Pitt

<><><>

Four denizens in the world of high-finance predict the credit and housing bubble collapse of the mid-2000s, and decide to take on the big banks for their greed and lack of foresight.

<><><>

Don't be put off by the storyline...Its good..
Yep some of the financial jargon went in and out before I could think about it.
But it was educational and entertaining throughout.
With this cast you cannot fail...and it didn't .........just top draw performances.

Recommended

8/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

The Revenant
UK certificate 15
149 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Drama/Thriller/Western

Directed by : Alejandro G. Iñárritu

Starring : Leonardo DiCaprio/Tom Hardy/Domhnall Gleeson

<><><>

In the 1820s, a frontiersman, Hugh Glass, sets out on a path of vengeance against those who left him for dead after a bear mauling.

<><><>

Where to start...
DiCaprio excels in this revenge western, a top draw performance particularly the bear mauling scenes.
The storyline is excellent if slow burning at times...The cinematography is outstanding depicting the harsh winter conditions
but also the beauty of the landscape....
Noteworthy and which seldom gets a mention is sound...you can even hear the crunching of footsteps in icy snow!
Actions scenes were good as were the visual effects.

All in all an entertaining experience, but not for everyone.
If you dont like drama and slow pace at times, then I guess this could be irritating.....

That said...
Highly Recommended

8.5/10

Two trailers

Intruders
UK certificate 15
87 mins

Genre : Drama/Horror/Thriller

Directed by : Adam Schindler

Starring : Beth Riesgraf/Martin Starr/Jack Kesy

<><><>

Anna suffers from agoraphobia so crippling that when a trio of criminals break into her house, she cannot bring herself to flee. But what the intruders don't realize is that agoraphobia is not her only psychosis.

<><><>

A pity this film could have been so much better considering the plots.
However it is entertaining, but horror fans will be some what disappointed as Horror is in very short supply.

6/10

Hooligan Legacy
UK certificate 18
71 mins

Genre : Action/Crime

Directed by : Nicholas Winter

Starring : Kris Johnson/Gary Finan/Terri Dwyer

<><><>

Four men, no strangers to unlawful transgressions, execute a daring football stadium robbery, but the volatile dynamic soon turns sour when the leader of the group becomes paranoid and begins to self destruct. Years later, after a stint in prison, the villainous leader is unrelenting in his path to retribution, he wants his years back and will take them from all of the men who know the true reasons for his prolonged captivity.

<><><>

Another hooligan type film which is a tad average not only in execution but acting.
It just did not sit well with me...It has been done better in the Foot Soldier series.

4.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Deadpool

UK certificate 15
103 mins

Genre : Action/Adventure/Comedy/Fantasy/Sci-Fi

Directed by : Tim Miller

Starring : Ryan Reynolds/Morena Baccarin/TJ Miller

<><><>

This is the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

<><><>

This movie got mixed reviews...Well I was entertained....and at last a comic hero film for adults.
Funny dark humor in abundunce with violent action throughout...ohh and romance, very odd in a comic hero lol.
The only down side for me was that the villain could have been more of one.

Recommended

8/10

13 Hours
UK certificate 15
139 mins

Genre : Action/Drama/Thriller/War

Directed by : Michael Bay

Starring : James Badge Dale/John Krasinski/Max Martini

<><><>

An American Ambassador is killed during an attack at a U.S. compound in Libya as a security team struggles to make sense out of the chaos.

<><><>

An excellent film with top draw action and performances
Another solid movie by Michael Bay with a political tone showing how bureaucrats and politicians ignore warnings about security.

Recommended.

7.5/10

Bone Tomahawk
UK certificate 18
127 mins

Genre : Adventure/Drama/Horror/Western

Directed by : S. Craig Zahler

Starring : Kurt Russell/Patrick Wilson/Matthew Fox

<><><>

After an outlaw unknowingly leads a band of cannibalistic Troglodytes into the peaceful western town of Bright Hope, the monsters kidnap several settlers, including the wife of a local rancher. Despite his injured leg the rancher joins a small rescue party with the sheriff, his aging deputy and a strong-willed gunslinger. What follows is a journey into hell on earth as the posse comes to realize it is up against a foe whose savagery knows no bounds.

<><><>

A different slant on horror moves with a solid western theme.......
There are some stomach churning gruesome moments for gore addicts.
The usual top draw performance from Kurt Russell as the sheriff compliments..

Recommended

7.5/10

|MYT|Torq
Clan Leader

Please note DVD Images are large...

The Finest Hours
UK certificate 12
113 mins

Genre: Action/Drama/History/Thriller

Directed by : Craig Gillespie

Starring : Chris Pine/Casey Affleck/Ben Foster

<><><>

The Coast Guard makes a daring rescue attempt off the coast of Cape Cod after after a pair of oil tankers are destroyed during a blizzard in 1952.

<><><>

An entertaining movie...Not as good as "The Perfect Storm" but does the job.
The visual effects were fine, but not barn storming (lol)...
Casey Afflect stands out on performances.
I still have issues with casting Chris pine...I did not like him in Star Trek, nor here.
In my book seems to me a light weight actor...

That said Recommended.

7/10

Point Break

UK certificate 12
109 mins

Genre : Action/Crime/Drama/Sports/Thriller

Directed by : Ericson Core

Starring : Edgar Ramirez/Luke Bracey/Teresa Palmer

<><><>

A young undercover FBI agent infiltrates a gang of thieves who share a common interest in extreme sports..

<><><>

A young FBI agent infiltrates an extraordinary team of extreme sports athletes he suspects of masterminding a string of unprecedented, sophisticated corporate heists. Deep undercover, and with his life in danger, he strives to prove these athletes are the architects of the mind-boggling crimes that are devastating the world's financial markets.

<><><>

This is a remake of the 1991 film of the same name and not as good.
To reliant on visual effects which are good as is the cinematography, but that's not enough when the plot lets you down.
Average performances compliment...a pity.

Still entertaining enough ..

5.5/10

Code of Honour
UK certificate 18
106 mins

Genre : Action

Directed by : Michael Winnick

Starring : Steven Seagal/Craig Sheffer/Louis Mandylor

<><><>

Colonel Robert Sikes is on a mission to rid his city of crime. As a stealthy, one-man assault team, he will take on street gangs, mobsters, and politicians with extreme prejudice until his mission is complete. His former protégé, William Porter, teams up with the local police department to bring his former commander to justice and prevent him from further vigilantism.

<><><>

Sadly the usual Seagal film of late....I some how wish that he could hang up his guns.
Average entertainment all round.

4.5/10

Return to “Entertainment”